Have you ever heard of making frosting with chocolate syrup? Well me neither! I thought that stuff was only good for making a cool glass of chocolate milk. Well surprise surprise, it makes for a delicious chocolate frosting! Probably one of the best chocolate icings I’ve tasted in a long time.
And use it to top a chocolate cake with a marshmallow middle and you’ve got a real slice of heaven on a plate. But be warned your sweet tooth will be screaming after one small piece. A little goes a very long way, even for hubs who can normally suck down sugar like it’s water!
I was a bit disappointed by the marshmallow filling though. Maybe my expectations were a bit high but I thought it would be more creamy and have more of a marshmallow taste. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a delicious icing. I guess maybe I expected something more like the filling you find in a hostess cupcake. But then again, that would make for a very messy cake! 😮
- 1 boxed Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 & ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 & ½ tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix all of the above ingredients together with an electric mixer. Pour evenly into two 9? cake pans sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 25 – 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the marshmallow filling ingredients until smooth and fluffy.
- Place one 9? cake round on cake plate and top with the marshmallow filling. Add the second cake round to the top. Set aside til ready to frost with chocolate icing.
- With an electric mixer; beat together the butter, syrup and cocoa powder until well combined.
- Add the sugar, milk and vanilla slowly on low speed. Scrape down the bowl and beater after each addition.
- Once sugar is mixed in, turn mixer up to medium and beat until smooth. Add more milk if you need to, to reach desired consistency.
- Frost top and sides of your cake. Lick the spatula when you’re done ?
Marshmallow filling recipe from Sweet Peas’s Kitchen
Chocolate syrup icing recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor Returns cookbook
Leave a Reply