Talk about a filling meal! If you’ve ever eaten gnocchi before then you know just what I mean. They’re like little lead balls that sit in your belly and send you into a carb coma.
But they’re just so good that I can’t resist eating them! And when paired with taco seasonings and ground beef, they become a real crowd pleaser.
This quick and easy dinner will sink you but it’s got everything you need for a complete meal in one dish. Plus you’ll only dirty two pans, one frying pan and a pot to boil the gnocchi in.
How could you go wrong?
- 1 package gnocchi
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 packet of Taco Seasonings
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sweet corn, canned or frozen
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a medium stock pot, start boiling your gnocchi according to package directions.
- On medium heat in a large frying pan, cook your ground beef with the onion, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Once beef is no longer pink, drain the excess fat.
- Add the can of rotel to the cooked beef along with the taco seasoning packet and water.
- Lower heat to low-medium and simmer until about a 1/3 of the liquid is left. Add your cooked gnocchi and the corn. Continue cooking until almost all of the liquid is gone.
- Remove from heat, top with shredded cheeses and cover with a lid until they melt.
We used pierogies (potato and cheese filled pasta pockets) instead of gnocchi and it was GREAT!
loved this recipe, so quick to make
That’s a great idea Sofia! We love pierogies so I’ll definitely have to try that.
This a very kid friendly recipe. I didn’t have Rotel, so used a small can of tomato sauce. I also added a bit more garlic. Since i already had some homemade gnocchi I used them. Delicious.
Glad your kids liked it Lori!
Dede Quick says
How many people does this feed?
We are a family of 3 adults, 2 teenage boys and 2 ten year old boys.
Thank you 🙂
Hi Dede. I would say it feeds about 4 – 5 people. I’d recommend a double batch for 7 people, especially with hungry teens lol.
This was delicious! I added 2oz of cream cheese with the corn and tomatoes.
That’s a great idea Lindsay! Glad you enjoyed it.
A flavorful and satisfying comfort dish. Made it for dinner tonite and everyone loved it. It will is now in our Saturday Night pasta/gnocchi rotation.
That’s great Robin! So glad it was a hit.
I just made this. I added pinto beans, sour cream, & Parmesan cheese & extra garlic.
It is delicious! I Will definitely make it again!! Oh I also just added the gnocchi to the pan with the Rotel etc… it did perfect 👍🏼😊
That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing SteveAnn.
Laura G. O'Connell says
It is very rare for our Canadian store to carry Rotel tomatoes, and if they do, it is a very small can. I substitute Aylmer brand Italian tomatoes (probably the closest to Rotel, but with Italian seasoning). It works in other recipes, so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work here. I LOVE how easily this went together, and if it tastes half as good as it smells, this is going to be a winner!
How much is a “package of gnocchi ” thx!
Hi Teresa. Typically they are 16 oz packages but it can vary slightly depending on the brand and type you buy. Hope that helps.
Susie Cassel says
We LOVE this recipe! I make it just as written for me and make it substituting the ground beef with black beans and mushrooms for my vegetarian husband. We are both fans! Thanks for a great recipe!
That’s awesome Susie! Thanks for sharing! Glad you like it.
How many oz in the can of rotel?