Oh, my! This was a very tasty treat! If you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert solution that looks really pretty to boot, then this cake recipe is for you. With only a handful of basic ingredients, you can whip this beauty up in less than an hour.
As my first upside down cake attempt, I was extremely nervous but was surprised at how well it turned out. My husband dislikes fruit, so I took half of the cake to my parents who thought it was super yummy. I happened to agree with them!!
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 can fruit cocktail (drained)
- 1 jar maraschino cherries (drained, without stems)
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9 inch round cake pan. Meanwhile in a small sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar on medium heat until bubbly. Pour evenly into the bottom of cake pan.
- Mix fruit cocktail with the cherries and pour on top of the butter mixture already in the cake pan.
- Prepare the yellow cake mix according to the boxed cake mix directions. Pour batter into pan evenly over fruit mixture, filling pan only about 3/4 full.
- Bake cake for 35 – 40 minutes until cake top is lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for about 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges if the cake seems to be sticking. Place cake plate on top of cake pan and turn over carefully. The cake should easily come out of the pan.
cake recipe says
That looks amazing! I love having fruits in my cake, so this one is actually one of my favorites. I love using them especially for garnishing. I think it gives the cake that refreshing and healthy look, as if you can almost ignore the fact that you’re about to pack calories in your body, lol!
I was so lucky to be able to taste this cake. It was delicious! It sounds easy to make and requires few and simple ingredients.
Are you supposed to drain the fruit cocktail? Can you use pam to grease the pan or crisco?
Hi Kathy. Yes, you need to drain the fruit. Pam is perfectly fine to use.
Susan Becker says
what size can of fruit cocktail
Hi Susan. I used a 15 oz can of fruit cocktail.