This Crockpot Spicy Chicken and Rice is so super simple to make and so gosh darn tasty! It’s a great filling meal of tender shredded chicken and hearty brown rice in a flavorful (and a little spicy) sauce. Finished off with yummy sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheeses.
It doesn’t look like much dished out in the bowl but it’s very good! You could easily adjust the spices if you need this recipe to be a bit more kid friendly with less of a spicy flavor kick.
What makes this crockpot recipe so easy is the fact that you don’t even need to cook your own rice from scratch. I used two packets of the already cooked whole grain brown rice in the orange packets of Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice.
So all I really needed to do was drop some fresh chicken breasts into the crockpot, open a few cans, and measure out some spices. Top the chicken breasts with the saucy mixture, cover the crockpot with the lid and walk away.
Come back a few hours later and shred your tender cooked chicken breasts. Stir in the rinsed black beans and cooked rice, then top it off with some of your favorite shredded cheeses.
About half an hour later you’ll come back to the most delicious smelling spicy chicken mixture ever! Dish it out and you’re all done!
The chicken is so moist and tender while the cooked rice absorbs the majority of the flavorful spicy sauce. So everything combined is loaded with delicious flavors. The black beans give the chicken and rice some nice added texture and fiber.
This makes a really great weeknight meal idea. It makes such a satisfying meal with very little effort needed.
Give it a try, you won’t regret it!
- 2 lbs (4 - 5) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 14.5 oz can Rotel
- 10 oz can mild enchilada sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 15oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- (2) 8.8 oz packages of Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Brown Ready Rice
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Place chicken in the bottom of your crockpot in a single layer.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the Rotel, enchilada sauce, garlic powder, paprika, salt, cumin and chipotle pepper. Pour evenly over chicken.
- Cover crockpot with lid and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or until chicken is fork tender.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with two forks. Put shredded chicken back into crockpot and mix with sauce still in the crockpot.
- Stir in the black beans and cooked rice. Sprinkle cheese evenly on top and cover with lid.
- Cook for another 20-30 minutes.
Adapted from 5 Boys Baker.
I’ve made this and it’s absolutely delicious. I got the recipe from https://www.5boysbaker.com and rate it 5 stars. It makes a LOT so there should be plenty for leftovers. Topping it with cilantro, sour cream and guacamole sends it over the top!