Talk about comfort food! This crockpot chicken and dumplings is the definition! Such a perfect fall recipe for a chilly afternoon.
This was my first time ever making or eating chicken and dumplings so I was kinda nervous. But this recipe is so stinkin easy, it’s virtually fool poof.
All you do is put a couple chicken breasts on the bottom of your crockpot. Add a layer of veggies and seasonings on top then finish with chicken broth.
My chicken starting falling apart at the 4 hour mark (on low) so that’s when I added the cut up canned biscuits. Keep cooking for an additional hour and you’re done!
Seems too simple right? But oh, my…it’s good stuff! It turns out so thick and creamy with the chicken moist and tender. The dumplings are soft and cooked to perfection.
Hubby and I were able to get two generous meals out of this crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe. Depending on how hungry your family is, this recipe will feed 4 – 6 people.
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 16 oz frozen mixed veggies (I used a carrot, pea, corn and green bean mix)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- (2) 10 count refrigerated cheap, basic biscuits (in the tubes)
- Place chicken breasts in crockpot.
- Top with onion and veggie mix.
- Sprinkle the flour and garlic salt on top.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for around 4 hours or until chicken starts to fall apart. With two forks, pull chicken apart into big pieces.
- Quarter each of the biscuits and toss into the crockpot in an even layer. Cover and continue cooking for another hour, stirring twice as the biscuits cook.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Adapted from Eating on a Dime.
Leave a Reply