Boxed store brand cake mixes are good but you can make them even better by adjusting the ingredients just a bit. By tweaking it a little it makes the cake super moist. I always get a bunch of compliments and people are surprised that it’s just a simple doctored up cake mix.
I made this chocolate cake for hubs on Valentines Day; hence the red, white and pink M&M’s on top. The cake is so soft and moist and the icing is perfectly sweet without being too sugary sweet.
- 1 boxed Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 box instant chocolate pudding
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
- 4oz cream cheese, room temp
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 – 6 tablespoons milk
- plain M&M candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix together all of the above cake ingredients.
- Spray baking pans (I used two 9? rounds) with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake according to cake mix directions, or until toothpick comes out clean (around 25 minutes for the round pans).
- Let cool completely before icing.
- Beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually start adding in the powdered sugar and milk, alternating each. You may not use all of the milk. Use as much as you need to reach the consistency you’d like.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Frost your cake and sprinkle M&Ms on top if desired.
Leave a Reply