Nothing says summer more to me than moist vanilla pound cake covered with fresh berries and whipped cream. So to satisfy my latest sweets craving, that’s just exactly what I made. But for that added twist of flavor, I made homemade lemon whipped cream instead of the standard vanilla.
The cake is so moist and decadent while the whipped cream adds a subtle lemon touch. I’m trying not to devour all of this at once but it’s getting quite difficult when it stares at me from the kitchen saying “eat me”!
from My Spiced Life
3 Tablespoon milk, room temperature
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 sticks (12 Tablespoon) butter, softened
1. Grease loaf pan and preheat oven to 325°.
2. In a large mixing bowl; combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda and mix with the whisk attachment for 30 seconds to blend.
3. With a fork, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
4. Add the softened butter and half of the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until just incorporated, then increase speed to med-high and mix for one minute. Scrape down the sides.
5. Add the remaining egg mixture in two batches, mixing for 20 seconds and scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
6. Scrape batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted to the middle of the cake, about 45- 50 minutes.
Lemon Whipped Cream
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons fine grated fresh lemon zest
1. Beat cream on high speed until it begins to thicken. Gradually add sugar, continue beating.
2. Add lemon juice and beat until soft peaks form. Fold lemon zest in by hand.