Oh, my! This was a very tasty treat! If you’re looking for a quick and easy dessert solution that looks really pretty to boot, then this cake recipe is for you. With only a handful of basic ingredients, you can whip this beauty up in less than an hour.
As my first upside down cake attempt, I was extremely nervous but was surprised at how well it turned out. My husband dislikes fruit, so I took half of the cake to my parents who thought it was super yummy. I happened to agree with them!!
Fruit Cocktail Upside Down Cake
4 tablespoon unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 can fruit cocktail (drained)
1 jar maraschino cherries (drained, without stems)
1 box yellow cake mix
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan. Meanwhile in a small sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar on medium heat until bubbly. Pour evenly into the bottom of cake pan.
2. Mix fruit cocktail with the cherries and pour on top of the butter mixture already in the cake pan.
3. Prepare the yellow cake mix according to the boxed cake mix directions. Pour batter into pan evenly over fruit mixture, filling pan only about 3/4 full.
4. Bake cake for 35 – 40 minutes until cake top is lightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let cake cool for about 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges if the cake seems to be sticking. Place cake plate on top of cake pan and turn over carefully. The cake should easily come out of the pan.