I know I’ve mentioned this before but hubs loves anything mint and chocolate. But he absolutely loathes cupcakes! So when I found this recipe for Chocolate Mint Oreo Cupcakes I knew I had to somehow convert it to cake form. It looked so delicious and I loved the idea of whole Oreos on the bottom.
I decided to make mine in a 13×9 baking dish instead. I simply just lined the bottom of my glass dish with the whole Oreos and followed the rest of the recipe as is, except for adjusting the cooking time too. The cake version turned out really well. The cake was moist and the icing was just the right amount of sweet and minty.
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
- 3.9oz box of Chocolate Instant Pudding
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- Cool Mint Oreos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer bottom of the pan with whole mint Oreos.
- In an electric mixing bowl; combine the dry cake mix, dry pudding mix, oil, eggs and milk. Beat together for 1 to 2 minutes, batter will be nice and thick.
- Pour batter in pan over Oreo cookies.
- Bake 35 – 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cook completely before icing cake.
Mint Oreo Icing:
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup vegetable shortening
6 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon mint extract
green food coloring (optional)
remaining Cool Mint Oreos, crushed
1. With the electric mixer; beat together the butter and vegetable shortening until creamy.
2. Gradually add the powdered sugar and milk until you receive the consistency you desire.
3. Add the mint extract and food coloring (if desired).
4. Stir in the crushed Oreos. Frost your cake and enjoy!
And just for fun…an up close and personal with Teddy who is now 16 weeks old. My how time flies, I can’t believe we’ve had him for 6 weeks already!