If you have a craving for chocolate and a massive sweet tooth then this Crockpot Chocolate Lava Cake recipe is for you! I found this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to try it.
What I like most about this recipe is it’s simplicity. Just a few ingredients thrown in a crockpot for a couple of hours. Not fuss, just walk away and come back to a hot and gooey delicious cake.
What you get is a moist rich cake with pockets of hidden pudding surprises. A little goes a long way since it is so rich but nothing a scoop of vanilla ice cream can’t fix. The ice cream helps to mellow out that sweetness just a bit.
The recipe makes a lot of cake since smaller servings are best. Hubby and I barely put a dent in ours so there’s lots leftover in the fridge for later tonight!
- boxed chocolate cake mix
- 1 & ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 12 oz bag milk chocolate chips
- With your mixer, blend together the cake mix, 1 1/4 cups milk, oil and eggs until smooth and glossy. Pour into the lined crockpot.
- Either with your mixer or by hand, whisk together the 2 cups milk and pudding mix. Mix it for a few minutes until it thickens up. Pour it into the crockpot on top of the cake batter but don’t stir them together.
- Sprinkle the bag of milk chocolate chips on top, also do not stir them in. Just let them rest on the top.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for about 2 1/2 hours. You want the cake to be set but it’s ok if the middle is a tad bit jiggly. Let cool just a bit before serving with your favorite toppings.
*To keep the cake from sticking and burning around the edges it’s recommended that you line the crockpot with parchment paper before you begin.*
Original recipe from Jamie Cooks It Up.
The Hubby says
Two thumbs up from the official taste tester.
I just tried this for Fathers Day an 2 1/2 hours on low and an hour onnhigg, it’s not even close to done. So, I did some digging and I believe you mean to cook it on HIGH for 2 1/2-3 hours.
Hi Kylie. I’m sorry you had trouble with this one. It is in fact supposed to be cooked on low. It’s really quite runny and sloppy even when done. I followed the link back to the site where I originally tried the recipe and she has noted that other people are also having issues similar to you. I guess it depends on the crockpot.
Isabel Hunt says
How many prople does it feed?
Hi Isabel. I’d say at least 6 servings.