Nothing beats a good sweet and spicy barbecue sauce. These shredded honey bbq chicken sandwiches are loaded with a heavenly sauce that is really sweet and tasty.
We loved these chicken sandwiches! It takes only a few minutes of prep time but the flavors are so intense.
The honey bbq sauce is extra sweet and sticky. If you like barbecue chicken, I think you’ll love these!
Shredded Honey BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 - 3 lbs skinless, bone-in chicken breasts
- dry rub (below)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- homemade honey barbecue sauce (below)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- pinch of kosher salt, onion powder and garlic powder
Honey BBQ Sauce:
- Mix together all of the dry rub ingredients.
- Rub spice mixture onto all sides of chicken breasts and place into large crockpot.
- Pour chicken broth around chicken breasts, cover and cook 3 – 4 hours or until chicken begins to fall apart.
- Gently remove cooked chicken from the crockpot and discard juices.
- Place chicken on cutting board and start pulling chicken away from the bones. Shred the cooked chicken by pulling apart with two forks. Set aside.
- Make the honey barbecue sauce by combining sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and cooking on medium until well combined. Lower heat to low setting and simmer for about 15 to 20 additional minutes. Remove from heat when sauce thickens.
- Mix sauce and the shredded chicken together and serve on your favorite buns.
Leave a Reply