Hmm, what can I do with older lemons that are starting to shrivel up? Oh, I know…lemon ice cream! And oh yum, did it turn out delicious!
This ice cream recipe is awesome and I think the reason it turned out so creamy was the unique way you incorporate the heavy cream. Before you add it to your milk and sugar, you whip it just like you’re making whipped cream. So before it even makes it to the ice cream maker, it’s already nice and thick and whipped to a creamy consistency.
I was excited at the prospect of fresh lemon ice cream but I also thought it may need some added texture. I had a box of Nilla Wafers handy so I broke a bunch into pieces and added those to it. They get nice and soft and added just the right amount of cookie flavor to the ice cream. Yummy in my tummy!
- 1 large, lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 12 – 15 Nilla Wafer cookies, broken into smaller pieces
- Combine the lemon zest and the granulated sugar in a food processor and process until lemon zest is in fine pieces mixed throughout the sugar. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the milk to the sugar, zest mix and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the lemon juice and stir.
- Whip the chilled heavy cream in your stand mixer until thickened and stiff peaks are formed. Gently fold into your milk, sugar mixture until well combined.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and churn for 25 – 30 minutes or until creamy and thick. Transfer to a freezer safe container and hand mix in the Nilla Wafer pieces. Freeze for a few hours before serving.
Recipe adapted from Life’s a Feast
This looks simple, refreshing and very delicious. Thanks very much for sharing. Would love to try.
I made my first batch of ice cream on the weekend so your post has come at just the right time! I’ll this to my recipe collection! Thanks
Cath@dunnntoperfection.blogspot.com recently posted..Apple and Cinnamon Delight
This sounds delicious! Yum!
claudia lamascolo says
so amazing looking and refreshing. Love the lemon and the fluffy look to this one, lemon is a favorite here!
claudia lamascolo recently posted..Chicken Marsala Recipe in memory of my dad Carmen
Looks simply yummy and comforting. Since I started making my own ice cream I have fallen in love and plan on making it often! Thanks for the mention!
Jamie recently posted..PISSALADIERE