My husband absolutely hates vegetables. Sometimes I feel like a mom trying to get her 5 year old to eat his veggies. I have to hide and disguise them within our food.
It’s so frustrating since our likes and dislikes are totally opposite. He’s all meat and potatoes and I could go meatless for weeks.
This is why we go out to eat as often as we do. I can get what I want, usually a salad, and he can get any meat he desires.
In an effort for healthier eating, I’ve been trying to cook home more often. This means that I’ve got to get creative with incorporating veggies into our meals.
And I’m happy to say that my husband is at least making an effort on his end. He’s been good at keeping an open mind and at least trying the veggies I cook.
Yesterday’s experiment was these Baked Zucchini Slices. Fresh zucchini rounds breaded with a yummy Parmesan crust.
They were delicious and a great way to jazz up a simple veggie. I served our zucchini slices with whole wheat angel hair pasta and sauce. To my surprise, my husband ate a fair amount of slices so I’d consider this a success!
- 3 zucchinis, rinsed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice fresh zucchinis into thin, even sized coins. Arrange on a paper towel to dry while combining your dry ingredients.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl, whisk the 2 egg whites until frothy.
- Place the zucchini in the egg mixture, then coat in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place slices on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip over the zucchini chips. Return to the oven for another 7 minutes. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply