Fall is here and that means it’s officially time to roll out the comfort foods! One of my favorite things to make during Fall and Winter is homemade soups. And who doesn’t love something cheesy? I love broccoli cheese soup so when I saw this version with other veggies in it, I knew I had to try it.
Soups like this Veggie Cheese Chowder are easy ways to sneak vegetables into my hubby’s diet without him complaining or picking them out. You’d think he was a two year old! But nope, he’s a grown man at 36 years old!
The soup tastes delicious! It basically tastes just like a creamy broccoli cheese soup but it’s a bit more filling with the addition of potatoes, carrots and celery. I love serving this in small bread bowls for a quick and easy filling meal.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender.
- Add the minced garlic and cook an additional 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Mix the flour and water together until smooth, add it to the pot and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
- Add the milk and broccoli then cook until broccoli is just tender. Stir in the cheese, allow it to melt, and serve.
original recipe from LuLu The Baker