It feels like forever since I posted my last recipe here. Ever since we had to put our dog down in January, I just had no interest in cooking or baking. His illness came as a shock to us and I wasn’t prepared to have to say goodbye to him so suddenly. At 12 I knew we had a limited amount of years left with him but I had no idea it would just come out of nowhere and hit us like a train.
Now 8 months later, we’ve adopted a new puppy and things are looking up! We’ve had Teddy now for about a month and I feel so much better. Yes, he’s a bit of a terror at times but he’s brought so much happiness and light back into our lives.
Enough depressing talk, let’s focus back on the food! This recipe is an easier alternative to breaded chicken parmesan. Instead of actually coating each chicken breast in bread crumbs, you simply top the casserole with a crispy layer of croutons. The bottom of the croutons get a little moist and the tops stay crunchy.
I like this recipe because it’s fast and easy. No it doesn’t taste exactly like breaded chicken parmesan but it’s a quick alternative. The chicken stays nice and moist while you still get great flavor with fewer calories.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 – 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package garlic croutons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the bottom of a large casserole dish, mix together the olive oil and minced garlic.
- Place chicken breasts on top of oil and garlic mixture then top with the marinara sauce of your choice.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top.
- Add layer of croutons.
- Finish with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for around 10 more minutes. You want the cheese nice and brown. Make sure to test the chicken with a meat thermometer, done will be at 155 degrees.
- Serve with side of pasta if desired.
Adapted from Food Wishes