Every week I’ll be featuring a new recipe blog for my readers to explore. Why? This is just one more way in which I want to help fellow foodies find each other and connect. Plus extra traffic to your recipe blog never hurts either!
This Week’s Featured Recipe Blog - Buns In My Oven
Recipe Blog URL: http://bunsinmyoven.com/
Follow Karly on Twitter: @Buns_In_My_Oven
A Little About Karly:
I’m a homeschooling mama of two kids and married to my high school sweetheart. My husband and kids demand that I feed them every day, and for some reason they don’t consider cold cereal a proper dinner. As you can see, life is hard. I decided that if I’m going to be forced to cook for my family, I may as well have fun with it and share my favorite recipes with you.
A Sampling of Karly’s Unique Recipes:
Bacon and Cheddar Scones
Magic Peanut Butter Middles
Sugar and Spice Candied Nuts
Next Week’s Featured Recipe Blog: Edible Moments
This past weekend was my husband’s birthday. Being the chocolate fanatic that he is, I just had to bake him a chocolate cake.
I made a simple devil’s food boxed cake, adding chocolate chips into the batter too. Since I made a box cake, I figured I should at least make homemade frosting.
I chose to make the chocolate frosting listed on the back of my container of Nestle Toll House cocoa powder. Wowzers! It is really sweet and yummy!
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
3 cups sifted powdered sugar, divided
2/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
5 to 6 tablespoons milk, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Beat 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, butter, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until creamy.
2. Gradually beat in remaining sugar and milk until smooth.
Nothing beats a good sweet and spicy barbecue sauce. This recipe contains a heavenly sauce that is really sweet and tasty. Combining this sauce with moist shredded chicken makes for a delicious treat.
We loved these sandwiches! It takes only a few minutes of prep time but the flavors are intense. The sauce is extra sweet and sticky. If you like barbecue chicken, I think you’ll love these!
Shredded Honey BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
2 – 3 lbs skinless, bone-in chicken breasts
dry rub (recipe below)
1 cup chicken broth
homemade honey barbecue sauce (recipe below)
1. Mix together all of the dry rub ingredients. Rub spice mixture onto all sides of chicken breasts and place into large crockpot.
2. Pour chicken broth around chicken breasts, cover and cook 3 – 4 hours or until chicken begins to fall apart. (Regularly baste chicken with the broth and juices in the bottom of the crockpot.)
3. Gently remove cooked chicken from the crockpot and discard juices. Place chicken on cutting board and start pulling chicken away from the bones. Shredd the cooked chicken by pulling apart with two forks. Set aside.
4. Make the honey barbecue sauce following the recipe below. Mix sauce and the chicken together and serve on your favorite buns.
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Honey Barbecue Sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 stick of butter
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
pinch of kosher salt, onion powder and garlic powder
Combine above ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook on medium until well combined. Lower heat to low setting and simmer for about 15 to 20 additional minutes. Remove from heat when sauce thickens.