Sadly, this will probably be my last soup recipe until fall hits. 🙁 I don’t know what it is but I just can’t get myself to eat a hot bowl of soup when it’s hot outside. It’s just not appealing to me.
But on the bright side, I left the best soup for last! Yummy loaded baked potato soup. It’s cheesy, creamy and so delish. I left some nice potato chunks in mine but you could puree it smooth if you wanted to instead. I like feeling the texture of the potato and broccoli bits.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
from Real Mom Kitchen
5 cups diced Idaho potatoes
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups skim milk
12 oz bag frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup bacon bits
1. Place potatoes and onion in a large pot with enough water just to cover the potatoes. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender stirring occasionally. Do not drain water!
2. With the water still in the pot, mash the potatoes, onions and water together a few times with a potato masher until desired consistency.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour and milk then stir in with the potatoes. Simmer until mixture is slightly thickened.
4. Add the broccoli, paprika, and garlic powder and cook for 1-2 minutes more. Just enough to warm the broccoli.
5. Remove from heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits. Stir until the cheese is all melted. Serve topped with additional cheese and bacon bits if desired.