I have to say that I absolutely love the scent of fresh baked bread. There is nothing better than walking into a house with the aroma of homemade baked bread in the air. It reminds me of my grandparent’s house which always seemed to smell like fresh baked bread. With that said, I’d always been fearful to attempt baking my own bread. That was until I came across this really simple sour cream bread recipe.
Surprisingly for my first attempt it turned out fairly well. There were a few things I’ll do differently next time but overall it was a success. Not only did I get the adorable loaf of bread pictured above, but I got 2 lovely loaves from this one recipe!
Sour Cream Bread
from Honey & Butter
1 packet yeast
3 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 pint sour cream, room temp
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 & 1/2 to 5 cups all purpose flour
1. Combine the yeast, sugar and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
2. Put the sour cream, salt and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the yeast mixture and thoroughly combine with the paddle attachment.
3. Switch to a dough hook and add the flour. Knead with the electric mixer for about 3-5 minutes. Transfer the dough to a bowl with 1 tablespoon of oil. Turn the dough to coat with the oil and cover it with a kitchen towel. Let it rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-2 hours.
4. Divide the dough in half and shape into two rounds. Place onto a greased baking sheet. Let it rise for 1-2 more hours.
5. Preheat oven to 375° and bake for 30-35 minutes.