2 Ingredient Brown Sugar Bourbon Crockpot Chicken Breasts

March 19, 2013

2 Ingredient Brown Sugar Bourbon Crockpot Chicken Breasts

I don’t know why it took me so long to figure out that I could take a simple marinade mix packet and use it in the crockpot.  This was so simple to make but infused so much flavor into boring old chicken breasts.  They stayed super moist too and practically fell apart.

I know this really isn’t a “recipe” but I figured maybe it’s something others haven’t thought to do either.  It’s one of those things that makes you smack your forehead and go “duh”.  All along I had the makings for an easy and flavorful meal right in my pantry.

2 Ingredient Brown Sugar Bourbon Crockpot Chicken

Brown Sugar Bourbon Crockpot Chicken

1 – 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 packet McCormick Grill Mates brown sugar bourbon marinade

Directions:

1.  Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your crockpot.  Follow the directions on the back of the marinade packet and whisk together ingredients.

brown sugar bourbon marinade

2.  Pour all of the marinade over the chicken.  Cook on high for 4 – 6 hours or until chicken starts to fall apart.

brown sugar bourbon crockpot chicken

3.  Remove chicken breasts from crockpot and discard the remaining sauce.  Serve with your desired side dishes.

crockpot brown sugar bourbon chicken breasts

Hope you enjoy this quick tip “recipe”.  Have you ever used a mix packet in the crockpot before?  let me know what your favorite one is.

{ 47 comments… read them below or add one }

Jan April 11, 2013 at 6:35 pm

There are 5 ingredients, not 2. Also couldn’t you strain the marinade and bring it to a boil for a minute so you could serve it, maybe over rice?

myfindsonline April 11, 2013 at 8:09 pm

If that’s your preference, sure, you could try that. It’s pretty sweet though.

kim April 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Wow…somebody is a little nit picky lol. Amanda, thank you for taking time out and posting such an easy peasy recipe… Some people just have to overcomplicate everything lol.

myfindsonline April 14, 2013 at 5:33 pm
judsta June 10, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I was thinking the same thing! hahahha

Lisa Poltz April 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Thanks for the idea! Love chicken, love crock pot and love EASY!

myfindsonline April 14, 2013 at 7:28 pm

You’re welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

jamie May 4, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Wow!!! Thanks for the idea. I can’t believe I never thought of this.

myfindsonline May 13, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I know right!? I was shocked at how easy it was and that I’ve never thought about doing it before either. Makes a nice quick and flavorful meal.

Jen May 5, 2013 at 8:16 am

Great idea! Going to make this today for supper. Thanks for posting.

myfindsonline May 13, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thanks Jen, hope you enjoyed it.

Brittany June 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for posting going to try it out tonight! :)

myfindsonline June 17, 2013 at 7:16 pm

You’re welcome Brittany. Hope you enjoy it!

Lisa June 24, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Awesome idea!! Thanks for sharing !! Have you tried any other pre-mix packets???

myfindsonline June 25, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Hi Lisa. No, I have not tried any other packets yet. I did make bbq chicken breasts in the crockpot yesterday with just a bottled bbq sauce and it turned out fab as well.

HollyBerry123 June 28, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thanks for the idea!!!! Couldn’t find the Brown Sugar Bourbon which looks great!!!! I am cooking the chicken in the Grill Mate Mesquite flavor…it smells great!! Love cooking in my crockpot….great for women whose lives are way too busy to slave over a stove all the time.

myfindsonline June 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm

You’re welcome Holly! I love my crockpot too especially in these humid hot days we’re having here lately. Keeps me from having to stand in front of a hot grill or stove. Plus the chicken stays so moist and tender.

Deb July 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Pour chunky salsa over chicken and cook in your crockpot. Makes a tasty, low calorie meal. I use a medium salsa, but others prefer mild.

myfindsonline July 9, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I like to do that too Deb! I also like sprinkling some taco seasoning in for some added flavor.

Erin July 7, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Awesome idea!!! Thanks for sharing. I work crazy hospital hours so cooking good meals can be almost impossible sometimes. This is super simple and looks like it will taste great. Can’t wait to try.

myfindsonline July 9, 2013 at 6:30 pm

You’re welcome Erin! We can’t get enough of our crockpot for easy week night meals!

amanda July 9, 2013 at 1:39 am

I also love to do chicken thighs with Yoshidas marinade in the ctock pot. It makes a super easy teriyaki chicken :)

myfindsonline July 9, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Yum, I’ll have to look for that at the grocery store this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

Diane September 6, 2013 at 1:43 am

Have you tried the thighs with Yoshidas? How long did you cook it?
I know these are basic recipes, but my problem is I never know the length of time/temperature to cook meat, then I get over cautious and it ends up dry. Thanks

myfindsonline September 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Hi Diane. No, I’ve never tried that. Usually chicken breasts cook for me on high for about 3 hours. It really all depends on how thick they are too.

Stephanie July 9, 2013 at 11:52 am

Great idea! Trying the Mojito Lime on chicken for tonight’s dinner, added the juice of one fresh lime. Hope it’s good.

myfindsonline July 9, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Mmm, that sounds tasty!

Emily July 10, 2013 at 10:20 am

Sounds yummy! My sister and I are making this today. The marinade only makes about 2/3 cup….just wondered if this is enough to cook the chicken in that long or did someone add more water etc.

myfindsonline July 10, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I only followed the directions on the marinade with no other additions. As it cooks, the juices from the chicken thin it out a bit more. It won’t cover the chicken completely but I basted it every hour or so while it cooked.

Megan July 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I haven’t tried this yet but it looks like it will be great! Anything easy is always worth a try! With 3 children under age 4, easy is what I need! I have done a packet of Italian seasoning(the salad dressing mix) with a stick of butter over chicken breast! Thanks for the idea!

myfindsonline July 31, 2013 at 9:02 pm

You’re welcome Megan!

Desiree March 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm

How was that with the italian packet and stick of butter??? Sounds good?? I love the Mississippi roast where you use a whole stick of butter on top of a roast in the crock pot.

Kim August 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Hollyberry123. I had a hard time finding the packet also. In our store it was kept with the stuffing. Weird!

myfindsonline August 1, 2013 at 7:48 pm

That’s where I find mine too Kim. You would think they’d be by the bottled liquid marinades and bbq sauces but they are not. You’ll usually find them with the other dry gravy, seasoning packets. In my local Walmart and Giant Eagle that is in a section by the boxed stuffing mixes and jarred gravies.

Stephanie August 22, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Trying with the Brown Sugar Bourbon packet for tonight’s dinner. Used actual Bourbon instead of water, hope it’s good.

myfindsonline August 25, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Yum, that sounds tasty!

Lizzie October 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’m wanting to make this tonight for our dinner. Is it okay if the chicken breasts are still frozen?

myfindsonline October 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Hi Lizzie. The USDA does not suggest cooking frozen chicken in the crockpot. It’s recommended to thaw it in the microwave first if you’re short on time.

Desiree March 5, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Wonder why?? I cook it from frozen all the time in the crockpot and am still alive. ;)

Helen Brumfield October 14, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I’m going to try this! My favorite is beef in the crock pot with Au Jus and you just get whatever cut of beef you want… Roast or whatever and I do brown it first, then you just add the au jus packet after mixing it per directions, I add an extra packet with no water for more flavor, and then when it’s done put it on rolls and have beef au jus sandwiches, it’s delicious! I think it cooked for 6-8 hours depending on size

myfindsonline October 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

That sounds delicious Helen!

Carressa February 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm

My favorite McCormick ‘Grill Mates’ packet is the Garlic, Herb & Wine – it is sooooo flavorful! Sometimes in the summer we will dry rub the chicken breasts with that and put it on the grill, yummy!!

myfindsonline February 16, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Mmm, never tried that one. You made it sound so yummy that I may have to try that when the weather warms up and the snow melts a bit. Thanks!

Kay March 12, 2014 at 7:20 am

Awesome idea! Thanks for sharing! I use a lot of these marinades and never thought of using them in the slow cooker. Any reason why you suggest discarding the leftover marinade from the slow cooker? Is it unsafe to use it? I’d like to use a different marinade and shred the chicken so discarding the marinade wouldn’t be an option.

myfindsonline March 12, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Hi Kay, nope no reason. You’re left with a very runny marinade that I had no use for it other than flavoring the chicken while cooking. We just wanted to eat the whole chicken breasts so we didn’t need the leftover marinade.

Trumpelstiltskin April 2, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Wow this is so easy and tastes awesome!
And there are so many other flavors to try, I don’t thing I’ll ever make chicken in my oven again ! Lol

myfindsonline April 2, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Awesome, so glad you enjoyed it!