Wow is just about all I can say about these brownies. They are so delicious but be warned before you continue reading, they are diet busters for sure!
I’ve never made a brownie recipe quite like this one before. I think that’s what intrigued me the most about it, aside from the beautiful pictures. Sigh, my camera just doesn’t do justice to my recipes. I’m gonna seriously think about buying a better one soon. Oops, I got off track. Back to the brownies now.
These brownies were very easy to make and they turned out so moist and dense. It’s definitely a heavy brownie recipe, just the way we like them. I adjusted the original recipe a touch by adding chunks of peanut butter cups in the batter. They add just the right amount of peanut butter flavor to the brownies.
Because we wanted a fair amount of peanut butter flavor, I opted for the larger Reese’s Big Cups. You can buy them in 6 packs in your grocery store candy aisle. About an hour before starting the brownies, I put the peanut butter cups in the freezer. While your waiting for your butter to melt (step 2), take them out of the freezer and chop them up. Put them in a bowl and back in the freezer until you need them. This will keep them from immediately melting when you add them to the batter.
Peanut Butter Cup Browniesadapted from Rainy Day Gal
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 tbsp water
12 oz package semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 Reese’s Big Cup Peanut Butter Cups (chopped and frozen)
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and mix to combine.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the sugar and water. Bring just to a boil and remove from heat.
3. Stir in one package of chocolate chips and the vanilla extract.
4. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Slowly blend in the flour mixture, and then add the peanut butter cups.
6. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour in batter and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.