Taco Bell’s Spicy Quesadilla Sauce

July 23, 2011

taco bell quesadilla sauce

Hubs and I are huge fans of Taco Bell’s chicken quesadilla.  We don’t have a Taco Bell very close to us so we rarely get to have it.  I’ve been making our own homemade quesadillas for a few years now but we always thought they needed something extra.  The sauce on Taco Bell’s quesadillas definitely is what makes them great.

I’ve always wondered how I could recreate the sauce at home.  I tried a few different variations on my own with no success.  I recently came across a recipe specifically for Taco Bell’s sauce.  So of course I had to try it!  I just had to keep that mayo was in it under my hat from the hubster.  He won’t touch anything with mayo so I’ve gotta hide it from him!

I’ve gotta say this is pretty dead on.  I think I put too many jalapenos in ours cause it had some extra kick.  But the melted cheese mellowed it out nicely.

Taco Bell’s Quesadilla Sauce

from Cottage Sisters

Ingredients:

¼ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons minced jalapeno slices
2 teaspoons juice from jalapeno slices
¾ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
dash salt

Directions:

1.  Mince enough jalapeno slices to make up 2 teaspoons worth. (I used my mini food processor to do this then just added the other ingredients right in the mini food processor)

2.  Add remaining ingredients to the minced jalapenos and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to let the flavors develop.

3.  Use about one tablespoon for each quesadilla. (I make mine with large tortilla shells, sharp cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese and packaged pre-cooked Tyson chicken strips.)

{ 29 comments… read them below or add one }

Tim July 29, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Amanda,

I agree. Taco Bells quesadilla is outstanding. Just like you, after I tasted the Taco Bells quesadilla for the first time I went home and made them for myself and friends. They are great for parties!!!!!

Thanks for the recipe. I will use it the next time I make quesadillas.

My thing is BBQ, so when I BBQ and grilling things up on a Brinkmann smoker, I grill up extra chicken for things like making quesadillas.

Have a great day!!!!!

Tim

amber October 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Tastes like mayo, but looks like the sauce. Disgusting, and a bit disappointing

Amanda October 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I’m sorry you didn’t like the sauce Amber. Did you let the sauce rest before using it? Once it sits, the flavors combine better. My hubby hates mayo and he loved it. He never even mentioned that it tasted like mayo. Between all the spices and jalapenos, I find it hard to even pick out the mayo but that’s just my own opinion.

tyler November 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Instead of mayo I use ranch dressing. I think the mayo gives it to sweet of a taste. Bit both are really good.

Julie January 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This recipe is fabulous. I think in the previous comment the person did not let the flavors blend with the mayo. I could taste no mayo at all! I did add extra jalapenos for extra spice. My husband thinks this tastes better than Taco Bell’s and I have to agree. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda January 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Thank you Julie! I thought maybe it was just me who couldn’t taste the mayo flavor. I agree, you really need to let it rest to get the flavors to blend best. So glad you liked it! Thanks for commenting!

Alex January 29, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Hey! I was wondering when we get the sauce made, do I just microwave it on the quesidilla?

Amanda January 31, 2012 at 10:55 am

Hi Alex. I make my quesadillas on a flat skillet pan (on medium heat) most commonly used for pancakes. I put down one tortilla shell; top with cheese, cooked chicken, tomatoes and then the sauce. I add the other tortilla shell on top of that. Let the bottom crisp up and then flip it over. Once the other side gets crispy, your cheese will be melted and the chicken, tomatoes and sauce will be heated up. Hope this helps!

Maike April 13, 2012 at 11:31 am

I’m Taco Bell’s biggest fan- bad thing about it- I’m from germany! I spent a year in the USA in a High School programme and totally fell in love with the cheese quesadillas (veggie;)!). I hope I’ll find all the ingredients in Germany so that I can satisfy my addiction!
Thanks a lot for the recipe though!

Tiffany July 30, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Wonderful! Thanks! I feel like I wrote this myself, I too will have to keep the mayo a secret from the hubs!! Lol Thanks again!!

myfindsonline August 1, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi Tiffany. If you let it set for a bit after making it, the flavors come together and he won’t even know there’s mayo in it. It’s our little secret! ;)

Zack August 8, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Didnt taste quite right. lacking tartness. so i added a dollop of sour cream, and holy cow did that instantly taste alot more familiar. next time i may add half sour cream and half mayo, or maybe just all sour cream. thank you for the recipe though :)

Sofia October 26, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I substituted sour cream for mayo…it tasted exactly right! Taco Bell cheese quesadillas are one of my biggest pregnancy cravings so far…now I can make them at home! Thanks for the recipe :]

myfindsonline October 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Sofia, I’ll have to give that a try!

Jaime November 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I tried this receipe at home (i let it set in fridge ehile i cooled the chicken)and loved it! My only question tho is, how long will it keep in the fridge? Cause I’d really love to make bigger batches but would hate for it to go bad

myfindsonline November 17, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Hi Jaime, so glad you liked the recipe. I’m not sure how long a batch would last in the fridge so I hate to recommend a time frame. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

chilly lover December 6, 2012 at 2:02 am

thanx for the recipe its what my quesadilla was missing

Bri January 19, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’m pretty sure it is just sour cream mixed with their mild sauce…. Sorry to burst this comicated sauce bubble it’s much easier lol

myfindsonline January 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Interesting, I may have to give that a try.

april February 14, 2013 at 12:45 am

Its a jalepeno sauce

Bri January 19, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Complicated ****

jill March 4, 2013 at 6:00 pm

what kind of mayo did u use? aka miracle whip or the other kind?

myfindsonline March 4, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hi Jill. I used Hellmann’s real mayonnaise.

Maggie March 9, 2013 at 1:08 am

Hi! Do you think i could freeze this? How much does this recipe make?

myfindsonline March 18, 2013 at 11:47 am

Hi Maggie. It makes a little over 1/4 cup. I’m not so sure that you could freeze it and have it taste as good once it thaws. You may have issues with it separating. But you can always give it a try if you have some extra you want to save.

Chuck June 15, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Amanda this is great! Love the recipe just made it today and made chicken quesadillas on George Foreman grill and worked out great! Cooked on both sides at the same time without having to flip! Awesome Thanks again

myfindsonline June 17, 2013 at 7:15 pm

You’re welcome Chuck! So glad you liked it.

Ashley January 2, 2014 at 6:35 pm

My mother got me a quesadilla maker for Christmas, so I immediately started looking up recipes and sauces to try out with my new toy! This recipe is fantastic!! I, like some others, added a dollop of sour cream and that seemed to lend the extra something that took this from an A to an A+! YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST LET THIS REST after mixing it all together, or the flavor of all those good spices won’t meld and it just doesn’t taste right. Thanks so much for this! It’s my new foodie obsession! Mmm!

myfindsonline January 3, 2014 at 3:21 pm

So glad you liked it Ashley!