One of the best parts of summer is good grilled chicken. I find so many interesting marinade, glaze and barbecue sauce recipes all the time. I can’t help by try a few.
This recipe contains one hard to find ingredient – Chinese 5 spice powder. My local grocery stores didn’t carry it anywhere. I finally found it on SageSpice and ordered it just so we could try this recipe.
This chicken recipe has a very unique flavor to it. If you don’t like earthy spice flavors then this will be too strong for you. It definitely has a strong, unique flavor.
5 Spice Soy Grilled Chickenfrom The Merlin Menu
1 – 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon finely minced ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons 5 spice powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1. Mix together the corn starch and water and pour into a bowl.
2. Add the remainder of the ingredients and stir well.
3. Add the chicken to a large Ziploc bag, pour in 1/2 of the marinade. Seal bag and refrigerate for a few hours.
4. While grill is heating up, bring remaining half of the marinade to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let thicken for a few minutes.
5. Grill marinated chicken breasts, basting occasionally with the extra thickened sauce.