I’m really a big fan of warm soft pretzels. There’s just something about a nice warm doughy pretzel combined with crunchy salt. Yum! There’s not than many places anymore where you can get a soft pretzel though. So when I saw that I could make my own soft pretzels, I was all over that!
Sunday morning was rainy here in Western Pennsylvania so I dubbed it “dough day”. I made two more batches of pizza dough then I made this easy pretzel dough recipe. Needless to say, I had flour pretty much everywhere. I’d love to know of anyone who doesn’t make a mess with flour!
The hardest part about this recipe is waiting the 1 hour between making the dough and then making the pretzels. I just was so excited to see if they would turn out well! And well they did! These pretzels turned out so yummy. And the recipe makes a very large batch of dough, so much so that I froze half of it for another day.
Soft Pretzel Bitesfrom the domestic mama and the village cook
1/2 cup warm water
1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 cup melted butter (cooled)
1 egg yolk (reserve the white)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
5 cups all purpose flour
1. Dissolve the yeast packet in the warm water. Add the butter, egg yolk, sugar, salt and milk. Mix well. Transfer the mixture to your stand mixer.
2. Slowly add flour 1 cup at a time and knead dough for about 5 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rest for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 425°. After dough has rested, cut or separate dough into 8 equal sections.
4. With each dough portion, roll out a long rope about 2 foot in length and 1 1/2″ wide. Cut the dough ropes into one inch pieces and place them on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper.
5. Whisk 1 tablespoon of water with the reserved egg white until frothy. Brush egg whites onto each nugget of dough and sprinkle with kosher salt.
6. Bake for about 14 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.