I usually keep some pepperoni and mozzarella cheese around for those times that dinner has you stumped but you don’t really want to eat out. So homemade pepperoni pizza is usually my go to in a pinch.
I didn’t feel like pizza over this past weekend so I went on a search for something different to try. I came upon pepperoni pinwheels. They looked so yummy and sounded super easy so I had to try the recipe.
They are amazing! We totally loved the flavors and the convenience of basically eating pepperoni pizza in a cinnamon bun type roll. You can dip them in marinara sauce if you please but they taste just as great without any sauce at all. A perfect snack on a lazy Sunday afternoon.
adapted from: Tammy’s Recipes
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sugar
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
8oz bag shredded mozzarella cheese
18 slices sandwich style pepperoni (or pepperoni of your choice)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Make the dough: In a small bowl; mix together the water, salt, oil and sugar. Set aside. Put flour and yeast in the bowl of your electric mixer. Add the water mixture and knead dough for about 10 minutes. Add extra flour or water if needed.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, rotating till all sides of dough ball are oiled. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
3. Punch down dough and place on floured surface. Roll out dough into a nice rectangular shape. Sprinkle dough with mozzarella cheese, basil, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Add single layer of pepperoni.
4. Carefully roll dough into a log shape. Pinch to seal.
5. With a sharp knife, slice log into 1 1/2 inch slices. Carefully place each slice in a greased baking dish. (Don’t worry, some cheese will fall out as you cut and place the slices. Just sprinkle over pinwheels in the baking dish.) Cover with a towel and let rise for 25 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove towel and if desired, sprinkle with additional grated Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
These delicious pinwheels taste best when served warm when cheese is nice and gooey. Dip in marinara sauce if desired. Yum!