Ever since I composed my list of 20 unique cupcake recipes back in April, I’ve been dying to try the Oreo cupcakes from Beantown Baker. They looked delicious and the idea of having a whole Oreo in the bottom of the cupcakes was very intriguing.
Let me tell you…they are delicious!! I did make one slight change though. The original recipe calls for cream cheese frosting but I just made a simple buttercream instead. Plus, I added Oreo cookie crumbs into the icing itself. It makes the icing look like melted cookies and cream ice cream, yum!
Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 & 1/4 cups flour, plus 2 Tablespoon for the Oreo chunks
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, room temp
1 pkg Oreo Cookies (I used Double Stuff Oreos)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Insert liners into cupcake pans. Twist apart 24 Oreos. Place the cookie wafer with filling on it, filling side up, in the bottom of each paper liner. Place cookie halves in a plastic Ziploc bag.
2. Cut the remaining whole Oreo cookies into quarters with a sharp knife. Toss with 2 Tbsp flour and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl cream butter until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla, mix to combine.
4. In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Mix until integrated.
5. Stir in sugar. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.
6. Add the egg whites. Beat for 2 more minutes. Stir in the quartered cookies.
7. Fill the cupcake liners three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes before frosting.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter, room temp
4 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 – 6 tablespoons milk
1. Remember the Oreo cookie wafers you placed in the Ziploc Bag? Close plastic bag and crush cookies with rolling pin or other desired tool. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to reach desired consistency.
3. Sift Oreo cookie crumbs into frosting, discarding larger pieces. (I used a handheld strainer for this) Mix well.
4. Frost cupcakes and garnish with whole mini Oreo cookies.