I’ve always been a fan of those inexpensive boxed cheesy potatoes. Even though they are quick and easy, it’s a little more appealing to use fresh potatoes and shredded cheese. This recipe puts the boxed versions to shame! It’s creamy, delicious and extra cheesy.
Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
from Recipe Girl
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
3 cups milk
10 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
4 lbs Idaho potatoes, skin-on, thinly sliced
1. Melt butter in large sauté pan over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook (stirring constantly) 3 minutes, or until flour is lightly browned.
2. Whisk milk into sauté pan and bring to a boil (continue to watch closely and stir). Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. Stir in shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese melts.
4. Grease 13 x 9 baking dish. Spread ¼ cup of the cheese mixture evenly in dish. Layer half of the potatoes in the dish and top with about half of the remaining sauce. Place another layer of potatoes and spread the rest of the sauce on top.
3. Bake at 325°, covered for 2 hours. Uncover and cook for another 20 minutes.